1 device that removes something from whatever passes through it
2 an electrical device that alters the frequency spectrum of signals passing through it
1 remove by passing through a filter; "filter out the impurities" [syn: filtrate, strain, separate out, filter out]
3 run or flow slowly, as in drops or in an unsteady stream; "water trickled onto the lawn from the broken hose"; "reports began to dribble in" [syn: trickle, dribble]
Etymology(noun) From filtrum.
- A device which separates a suspended, dissolved, or particulate matter from a fluid, solution, or other substance; any device that separates one substance from another.
- Electronics or software that separates unwanted signals (for example noise) from wanted signals or that attenuates selected frequencies.
- Any item, mechanism, device or procedure that acts to
separate or isolate.
- He runs an email filter to catch the junk mail.
device for separating impurities from a fluid or other substance
electronics or software to separate unwanted signal
any device or procedure that acts to separate or isolate
- To sort, sift, or isolate.
- This strainer should filter out the large particles.
- To diffuse; to cause
to be less concentrated or focused.
- The leaves of the trees filtered the light.
- To pass through a
filter or to act as though passing through a filter.
- The water filtered through the rock and soil.
- To move slowly or
gradually; to come or
go a few at a time.
- The crowd filtered into the theater.
- to filter out (something)
to sort, sift, or isolate
- Finnish: hajottaa
- German: filtern
to pass through a filter or to act as though passing through a filter
to come or go a few at a time
- Dutch: sijpelen, druppelen
- Finnish: tippua, valua
- German: filtrieren, passieren
- A filter.
- A filter.
- A filter.
Filter may refer to:
Chemistry, engineering and materials
Optics and photography
- In signal processing applications such as telecommunications and music, an electronic or mechanical device, or mathematical algorithm, to modify the harmonic content of signals. See
filter in Czech: Filtr
filter in Danish: Filter
filter in German: Filter
filter in Spanish: Filtro
filter in Persian: فیلتر
filter in French: Filtre
filter in Korean: 필터
filter in Italian: Filtro
filter in Hebrew: מסנן
filter in Dutch: Filter
filter in Norwegian: Filter
filter in Norwegian Nynorsk: Filter
filter in Polish: Filtr
filter in Portuguese: Filtro
filter in Russian: Фильтр (значения)
filter in Simple English: Filter (disambiguation)
filter in Finnish: Suodatin
filter in Swedish: Filter
filter in Chinese: Filter
bleed, bolt, butterfly, cheesecloth, clarifier, clarify, clean, clear, cloth, colander, condense, cradle, cribble, decrassify, depurate, diffusing screen, discharge, distill, drain, dribble, drip, dripple, drop, edulcorate, effuse, eliminate, elute, emit, essentialize, exclude, excrete, exfiltrate, extract, extravasate, exudate, exude, filtrate, frosted glass, frosted lens, gauze, gelatin filter, give off, ground glass, gurgle, leach, lens hood, light filter, lixiviate, lixiviator, membrane, ooze, pass through, percolate, percolator, purifier, purify, rectify, reek, refine, refiner, refinery, riddle, rocker, run through, screen, seep, separate, sieve, sift, sifter, smoked glass, spiritualize, spurtle, stained glass, strain, strainer, sublimate, sublime, transude, trickle, try, weed out, weep, winnow, winnowing basket, winnowing fan, winnowing machine